Need some help deciding what to cover around the TOUR Championship? We have you covered! Need more information? Contact Michael Baliker at MichaelBaliker@pgatourhq.com or 864-430-9801.
Tournament Buildout – Preview
- Visit East Lake before tournament week and meet with one of the project managers who is in charge of the massive build out of the different hospitality and fan venues on site
- Depending on timing, you could watch as they work on the interior designs of some of the spaces
- Send a reporter out to some of the more popular fan venues throughout tournament week to highlight the social scene at the event while reinforcing the access that grounds ticketholders have at the tournament.
- Take a visit to the PGA TOUR Fan Shop to check out the newest t-shirt designs for 2022!
- Have the meteorologist come out to East Lake to detail the forecast for tournament week and give fans an idea what to expect with potential t-storms, etc.
Signature Cocktails – Calamity Jane and Finale Fizz
As the TOUR Championship continues to enhance its unique fan experience, the tournament today unveiled two new tournament cocktails – the “Calamity Jane” and “Finale Fizz” – for fans to enjoy at select venues on the golf course.
Crafted by renowned Atlanta mixologists, both cocktails were selected via two rounds of fan voting during an online contest hosted by Atlanta Magazine. The “Calamity Jane,” featuring Tito’s Handmade Vodka, and “Finale Fizz,” featuring Maestro Dobel Blanco Tequila boast one-of-a-kind recipes and include select Coca-Cola products.
Fans can enjoy both cocktails at several of the tournament’s fan activation areas, including the Tito’s Stillhouse Lounge, located near the 15th green, and The Deck presented by Maestro Dobel, located across the lake from the Practice Range. To keep the cocktail cold throughout the day, fans can choose to have their beverage poured into a special TOUR Championship Yeti tumbler.
Crafted by Brendan Seery, UMI
1.5 oz Tito’s Handmade Vodka
2 oz Gold Peak Peach Tea
3 oz ginger beer
Top with Topo Chico
Garnish: Thyme sprig
Combine Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Gold Peak Peach Tea, and Ginger Beer in a Collins glass
Fill glass with ice all the way to the top
Pour Topo Chico until the cocktail is filled just shy of the rim
Stir gently to mix evenly, lifting and dropping ice to help mix vertically
Garnish with a thyme sprig
Crafted by Maddie McIntosh, JoJo’s Beloved Cocktail Lounge
1.5 oz Maestro Dobel Blanco Tequila
.75 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur or any ginger liqueur
1 oz fresh lime juice
1.5 oz AHA Grapefruit and Orange sparkling water
Garnish: Pomegranate seeds and lime wheel
Add tequila, ginger liqueur and lime juice to a shaker tin with ice and shake
Double strain over rocks into a wine glass
Top with AHA Grapefruit and Orange sparkling water
Sink .25 oz Grenadine
Garnish with pomegranate seeds and a lime wheel
- On Wednesday, Aug. 24, the tournament will host the TOUR Championship Charity Challenge on the back nine at East Lake featuring former NFL standout Larry Fitzgerald, former Atlanta Braves centerfielder Andruw Jones, MLB Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Glavine and this year’ Payne Stewart Award recipient Billy Andrade.
- The event will be broadcast on Golf Channel from 3-5 p.m. with all players mic’d up for the duration of the match.
- We encourage media to come out and capture this unique event and gather comments from participants at the end of the match.
HOPE Tee Shot – New Scholarship
- Each year, two members of the First Tee® of Metro Atlanta is selected to hit the HOPE Tee Shot on Thursday prior to the opening round of the TOUR Championship. The tee shot is a symbol and reminder of the hope that continues to build throughout the East Lake community as a result of the East Lake Foundation’s neighborhood revitalization efforts.Each year, both honorees emerge from an intense selection process comprised of a golf competition, essay contest and interviews with tournament leadership.
NEW: For the first time in 2022, the tournament will provide a $5,000 scholarship for each of the two HOPE Tee Shot honorees
Meet the 2022 Honorees:
Ward, a rising senior at Holy Innocents Episcopal School, has been a member of First Tee – Metro Atlanta for 11 years, and was given the honor of competing in the PGA TOUR Champions’ Pure Insurance Championship Impacting First Tee at Pebble Beach last fall. Ward has exhibited an ability to balance her golfing aspirations with her schoolwork, having maintained a 3.8 GPA during what was a busy year of school.
She looks up to Rory McIlroy and Cameron Champ on the PGA TOUR and employs a unique ritual before each of her tournaments: dining at Waffle House.
Quitman, a rising junior at Southwest Dekalb High School, is relatively new to golf, having picked up the game at 13 years old and joining First Tee in 2020. While admittedly being at a disadvantage compared to his peers who began playing earlier, Quitman uses that as motivation to work harder to hone his skills and stay competitive.
Outside of golf, Quitman is self-taught on the piano and participates in martial arts. On TOUR, five-time winner Collin Morikawa is his favorite player.
The “Other Trophy”
- Fans are familiar with the silver FedExCup that is awarded to each year’s champion along with $15 million, but the champion at East Lake receives another unique trophy on Sunday evening.
- A sterling silver replica of Bobby Jones’ famous putter “Calamity Jane” is awarded to the champion on behalf of East Lake Golf Club and has been the tradition since 2005.
- It has also become customary for the champion to putt with the silver replica on Sunday evening after his win.
- Interviews: We can give you access to film the putter and talk to Chad Parker, General Manager of East Lake Golf Club, about this unique tradition and how it all got started. We can also provide video of past champions putting with it along with photos.
Fan Venues Galore
- The Big Picture: There are so many unique, open-air fan venues on site at East Lake that are open to general grounds ticket holder. Even though there is a golf tournament going on, fans can have a memorable day at the TOUR Championship and not watch a single golf shot! Educate readers, viewers and listeners about the incredible social scene that awaits them at the TOUR Championship.
- The TOUR’s adjusted mask policy that includes mandatory masks indoors will not impact most spectators at East Lake Golf Club. All open-to-the-public venues are open-air and will not require masks.
- Open-to-the-public venues:
- SO Cool Zone presented by Southern Company – 14th and 15th green
- Tito’s Stillhouse Lounge – within SO Cool Zone
- Coca-Cola Fan Lounge – 8th green
- Peachtree Porch – 8th fairway
- Meiomi Wine Lounge – within Peachtree Porch
- The Deck presented by Maestro Dobel – between Practice Range and 16th tee
- Back Nine Brews – 18th tee
- Interviews: We can help arrange live shots with tournament representatives within any of these spaces during the week (for TV); Speak with Allison Fillmore about the creation of these spaces and the partners the tournaments work with to make these come to life.
Navigating the Heat
- The Big Picture: Everyone is excited to spend the day at the TOUR Championship, but it’s important to stay cool. Inform viewers about steps they should take while on site to stay cool while taking in plenty of golf action.
- Visit the covered Maestro Dobel Deck across from the driving range. It provides a unique view to watch players warm up for their rounds with a drink in your hand.
- There are Covered Bleachers in three locations: 1st Tee, 15th Green, Practice Range
- The SO Cool Zone will be equipped with soft seating and shade sails as well as several food vendors. It’s perfect place to take a break; plus, you can stay updated on the tournament by watching it on the big screen.
- The TOUR Championship will offer three unique cocktails during the week:
- Elijah Craig Bourbon, Coke Zero Sugar
- Maestro Dobel Tequila, Topochico, Lime
- Tito’s Vodka, AHA Peach and Honey
- The best part? They can be enjoyed in a one-of-a-kind TOUR Championship Yeti Tumbler! Given the hotter temperatures this will be THE way to enjoy a cool beverage while at East Lake. In 2019, they sold out by the weekend so make sure you get yours fast!
Local Food Partners
- The Big Picture: The TOUR Championship prides itself in offering food options beyond the basic hamburger and hot dog. Each year, the tournament welcomes a handful of Atlanta culinary staples. Fans who attend have endless choices as they enjoy their day at the tournament.
- 2021 Food Partners:
- Universal Joint
- D Boca N Boca
- Henri’s Bakery
- Pit Boss BBQ
- Interviews: Stop by any one of these food partners for a tasting and what their experience is like serving their delicious fare at the TOUR Championship.
Power of the Grounds Ticket
- The Big Picture: The TOUR Championship is different in that fans can get within a few feet of the best golfers on the planet for the price of a grounds ticket (or if you were lucky in 2018, standing on the 18th fairway with Tiger Woods). Grounds tickets, which start at $60, give fans unparalleled access to the season-ending event on the PGA TOUR while still being able to enjoy several unique fan venues.
- For families with young children, the TOUR Championship’s Youth Ticket Program makes attending the tournament a breeze. **Two kids 15 and under per ticketed adult are admitted free of charge.**
- Provide a holistic view on the access available to the grounds ticketholder and how they can easily feel like a VIP without putting too much of a strain on their wallet.
- Interviews: Talk to a family on site who took advantage of the Youth Ticket Program; Speak to Allison Fillmore about the importance of this tournament initiative.
Getting to East Lake
- The Big Picture: This is always a tournament storyline that we need help with. There are several ways to get to the TOUR Championship, but which way is the best depending on where you live?
- Uber is as reliable as it gets; convenient pick-up/drop-off near the 13th fairway
- General parking locations TBD