Need some help deciding what to cover around the TOUR Championship? We have you covered! Need more information? Contact Michael Baliker at MichaelBaliker@pgatourhq.com or 864-430-9801.
Tournament Buildout – Preview
- Visit East Lake before tournament week and meet with one of the project managers who is in charge of the massive build out of the different hospitality and fan venues on site
- Depending on timing, you could watch as they work on the interior designs of some of the spaces
- Reiterate health and safety protocols for fans
Community Day – Sunday, Aug. 29
- For the first time, the tournament will be hosting what is called “Community Day” on Sunday, Aug. 29 from 3-6 p.m. at East Lake Golf Club.
- Residents from around the East Lake neighborhood as well as the tournament’s charity partners will be invited to the SO Cool Zone near the 14th and 15th holes at East Lake for a cookout and watch party of the final round of the BMW Championship, which will determine the final 30 players who qualify for the TOUR Championship.
- Before the craziness of tournament week ensues, Community Day is an opportunity for the tournament to say Thank You to the residents of East Lake for their partnership and cooperation.
- Send a reporter out to some of the more popular fan venues throughout tournament week to highlight the social scene at the event while reinforcing the access that grounds ticketholders have at the tournament.
- Take a visit to the PGA TOUR Fan Shop to check out the newest t-shirt designs for 2021!
- Have the meteorologist come out to East Lake to detail the forecast for tournament week and give fans an idea what to expect with potential t-storms, etc.
Fan Health & Safety
- The Big Picture: Fans are back at the TOUR Championship to witness the conclusion of the PGA TOUR season after the event was held without spectators in 2020. The return of spectators and hospitality clients is critical to the tournament’s ability to give back to its charitable partners.
- There are still health & safety protocols in place on site:
- Masks required indoors (1904 Club and some hospitality venues)
- No autographs with players
- Contactless payment
- Interviews: Talk to fans about what it’s like being back at the TOUR Championship after missing out in 2020 as well as Executive Director Allison Fillmore about how the tournament has adapted as a result of the pandemic.
- On Wednesday, Sept. 1, the tournament will host the ‘Golf With A Purpose’ Charity Challenge on the back nine at East Lake featuring former NFL standout Warrick Dunn and a second celebrity TBD alongside LPGA star and Atlanta native Mariah Stackhouse as well as this year’ Payne Stewart Award recipient Justin Rose!
- The event will be broadcast on Golf Channel from 3-5 p.m. with all players mic’d up for the duration of the match.
- We encourage media to come out and capture this unique event and gather comments from participants at the end of the match.
- In conjunction with this announcement, the TOUR Championship will announce that it is going on sale with Wednesday grounds tickets for fans to witness this match in person.
HOPE Tee Shot (x2)
- The Big Picture: One of the most cherished traditions at the TOUR Championship is the HOPE Tee Shot, which invites one young member of the First Tee of Metro Atlanta to hit the ceremonial tee shot on Thursday morning of tournament week to signify the hope that is alive inside that specific honoree as well as the East Lake and surrounding communities.
- New in 2021, the HOPE Tee Shot will expand to include both a boy and girl and treat fans to two inspiring tee shots. In the past, the tee shot recipient would alternate between a boy and a girl. The recipients are selected based on their performance in a golf tournament, an essay, and various interviews.
- 2021 RECIPIENTS: Marcus Leonard and Tatum Thompson
- Interviews: We can put you in touch with both HOPE Tee Shot recipients either in advance of tournament week or right before/after they hit their tee shot on Thursday morning of tournament week. The two have already been surprised with the news: https://twitter.com/playofffinale/status/1420141524709433347?s=20
The “Other Trophy”
- The Big Picture: Fans are familiar with the silver FedExCup that is awarded to each year’s champion along with $15 million, but the champion at East Lake receives another unique trophy on Sunday evening.
- A sterling silver replica of Bobby Jones’ famous putter “Calamity Jane” is awarded to the champion on behalf of East Lake Golf Club and has been the tradition since 2005.
- It has also become customary for the champion to putt with the silver replica on Sunday evening after his win.
- Interviews: We can give you access to film the putter and talk to Chad Parker, General Manager of East Lake Golf Club, about this unique tradition and how it all got started. We can also provide video of past champions putting with it along with photos.
Fan Venues Galore
- The Big Picture: There are so many unique, open-air fan venues on site at East Lake that are open to general grounds ticket holder. Even though there is a golf tournament going on, fans can have a memorable day at the TOUR Championship and not watch a single golf shot! Educate readers, viewers and listeners about the incredible social scene that awaits them at the TOUR Championship.
- The TOUR’s adjusted mask policy that includes mandatory masks indoors will not impact most spectators at East Lake Golf Club. All open-to-the-public venues are open-air and will not require masks.
- Open-to-the-public venues:
- SO Cool Zone presented by Southern Company – 14th and 15th green
- Tito’s Stillhouse Lounge – within SO Cool Zone
- Coca-Cola Fan Lounge – 8th green
- Peachtree Porch – 8th fairway
- Meiomi Wine Lounge – within Peachtree Porch
- Maestro Dobel Deck – between Practice Range and 16th tee
- Back Nine Brews – 13th fairway
- Interviews: We can help arrange live shots with tournament representatives within any of these spaces during the week (for TV); Speak with Allison Fillmore about the creation of these spaces and the partners the tournaments work with to make these come to life.
Navigating the Heat
- The Big Picture: Everyone is excited to spend the day at the TOUR Championship, but it’s important to stay cool. Inform viewers about steps they should take while on site to stay cool while taking in plenty of golf action.
- Visit the covered Maestro Dobel Deck across from the driving range. It provides a unique view to watch players warm up for their rounds with a drink in your hand.
- There are Covered Bleachers in three locations: 1st Tee, 15th Green, Practice Range
- The SO Cool Zone will be equipped with soft seating and shade sails as well as several food vendors. It’s perfect place to take a break; plus, you can stay updated on the tournament by watching it on the big screen.
Honoring the Military
- The Big Picture: The TOUR Championship has a longstanding tradition of honoring military members through great tournament benefits.
- Military Ticket Program presented by United Rentals: Offers active, retired, reserved and National Guard military members (plus one guest) the opportunity to reserve complimentary grounds tickets to watch the world’s best golfers compete in the PGA TOUR’s season finale in Atlanta.
- While on site at East Lake Golf Club, military members will have access to the Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost presented by United Rentals, a tented hospitality chalet that will be located directly behind the tee of the challenging par-3 ninth hole. Military members will be treated to complimentary food and beverage while inside the outpost.
- The TOUR Championship will offer three unique cocktails during the week:
- Elijah Craig Bourbon, Coke Zero Sugar
- Maestro Dobel Tequila, Topochico, Lime
- Tito’s Vodka, AHA Peach and Honey
- The best part? They can be enjoyed in a one-of-a-kind TOUR Championship Yeti Tumbler! Given the hotter temperatures this will be THE way to enjoy a cool beverage while at East Lake. In 2019, they sold out by the weekend so make sure you get yours fast!
Local Food Partners
- The Big Picture: The TOUR Championship prides itself in offering food options beyond the basic hamburger and hot dog. Each year, the tournament welcomes a handful of Atlanta culinary staples. Fans who attend have endless choices as they enjoy their day at the tournament.
- 2021 Food Partners:
- Universal Joint
- D Boca N Boca
- Henri’s Bakery
- Pit Boss BBQ
- Interviews: Stop by any one of these food partners for a tasting and what their experience is like serving their delicious fare at the TOUR Championship.
Power of the Grounds Ticket
- The Big Picture: The TOUR Championship is different in that fans can get within a few feet of the best golfers on the planet for the price of a grounds ticket (or if you were lucky in 2018, standing on the 18th fairway with Tiger Woods). Grounds tickets, which start at $60, give fans unparalleled access to the season-ending event on the PGA TOUR while still being able to enjoy several unique fan venues.
- For families with young children, the TOUR Championship’s Youth Ticket Program makes attending the tournament a breeze. **Two kids 15 and under per ticketed adult are admitted free of charge.**
- Provide a holistic view on the access available to the grounds ticketholder and how they can easily feel like a VIP without putting too much of a strain on their wallet.
- Interviews: Talk to a family on site who took advantage of the Youth Ticket Program; Speak to Allison Fillmore about the importance of this tournament initiative.
Getting to East Lake
- The Big Picture: This is always a tournament storyline that we need help with. There are several ways to get to the TOUR Championship, but which way is the best depending on where you live?
- Uber is as reliable as it gets; convenient pick-up/drop-off near the 13th fairway
- General parking locations TBD